Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Gettin Kinky


Thursday I found out Kinky Friedman, a former Texas candidate for Governor was going to be at a local cigar shop so Michele and I went to meet Kinky. When he arrived he was very pleasant and was cutting up and signing autographs as well as posing for photo's, he gave Michele a big smile when he came in. I did have the camera with me and pulled it out, turned it on and it beeped and said battery exhausted, great. The purpose of his visit was to promote his new line of cigars, one of them is named the Utopian after his animal rescue ranch and the proceeds of this cigar go to those efforts. I had the impression he was a large man as he is always wearing a cowboy hat, but in real life he was not very tall but it was still a fun time.


I was scheduled to lead a bicycle ride for the club called the distance builder on Saturday, but it was in the 30's and none of this group showed up so I did a ride of 50 miles with the more hard core Airport group and we had a good ride with light winds and sunshine even though it was cold. Monday Michele and I went to the GDB spin class and had a good workout, I used my heart rate monitor and worked for a little over an hour with a maximum heart rate of 182, and overall average of 151 and burned 915 calories, not bad for an old guy.
Sunday we went to Eisenhower State Park and did some hiking along the bluffs at Lake Texoma, the lake was deserted and we saw no other hikers on the trail, I guess the cold and wind made it a perfect day for us. The limestone bluffs were full of fossilized sea shells and makes me think it was all covered by water at some time.

A woman and her faithful DogWe visited the Eisenhower Birthplace to round out a politically themed week. The annual State Park Pass allows us free entry to the State Parks and Historic sites and has paid off for us.

Losing retirement money faster than I can count

Dennis Starkey

No comments: