Friday, December 21, 2007

Sailing a small boat

Tuesday I did The TEBR with the bike club (Tuesday evening bike ride) and it was a spirited ride. We do various routes ,all after dark so we use lights. I have a strobe taillight and a 10 watt halogen headlight. the 10 watt is OK but the guys with HID light like the night rider brand are maybe 3 times brighter but cost 3 or 4 hundred dollars. Until I can make myself spend that kind on money on a light I just stay close so someone with a good light, if I pick someone faster than I am it is motivation to keep up

During the middle of the week I did get to do some sailing with a small boat. This is a boat I built from a kit some years ago, it is an America's cup miniature called the Victoria. The first time I took it out the motor that controls the rudder came off its mount and I had no control and had to walk to the boat and retrieve it off of the rocks. When this happened I had a visual off this happening on the bigger O'day 272 and how dangerous it could be too loose steering and control off the boat, I was helpless. After the repairs it sailed very good and I could sail it right back to me.
After about an hour of tuning and sailing the boat a couple came over and said they enjoyed watching the remote control sailboat in action and visited with me for a few minute about the boat, that was nice

This weekend we have planned to go to the Austin area and do some hiking and cycling at some of the State Parks in the area.

I am a Pirate 200 years too late
Dennis Starkey

No comments: