Monday, May 21, 2007

Garden of Eden

This was a good week for me with 3 good bicycle rides with three different groups, all were in the 30 mile range and had averages in the high 19's to 20 mph. The Saturday ride was memorable because I was able to hang in with a bunch of riders who were boasting about what great racers they were and an old non racer like me was able to put it on most of them. I hope that does not make me a racer.

Saturday Michele and I went sailing, when we checked the weather the wind was at 10, but as the photo shows when we arrived there was no wind. Well we had sandwiches and waited, but not for too long.
A nice breeze filled in and we had a great sail and we found out our dog Sprocket can swim. This dog runs all over the boat and he fell off as we returned to the dock and I had to pull him back on the dock.
Now for the Garden of Eden part, My dad and I went for an overnight to the farm for his first time in years. In January the pond was bone dry and everything was brown and dying. What a difference a few months makes, the wild plum trees are full of fruit and the wild blackberry bushes are loaded with not yet ripe fruit. Everything is so green it is truly amazing.

The dry pond is now overflowing with crystal clear water and I took this early morning shot of the sky's reflection on the still water. After the two year drought I will have to restock the pond, but it was nice to see it full and it was great to spend the time with my dad on the land he farmed as a child and young man.

Time is worth more than money
Dennis Starkey


No comments: