Monday, March 7, 2011

Fort Parker State Park and the North Shore

We made a trip to Fort Parker State Park to spend a few days hiking and biking and to look around at the small towns in the area for shopping, dinner and discovery.

This is a fairly small Park as far as the number of sites go but it has good hiking and cycling, and sits on its own good sized lake. This looks like a good fishing lake but only from a boat as the shore has a ring of tall reeds blocking access to casting from the shore. I would have brought the kayak but the water was to cold for me.

Michele and Sprocket at our site on the lake
On the far side of the lake is a 2.5 mile each way out and back trail that we biked one day and hiked one day. There is a small spring back in the woods that is in its natural state and bubbles up sparkling clear water, it looked so good but I would advise not drinking from it.
Each evening this was our view from under our awning where we spent some happy hours doing nothing.
When we travel we also like to visit small towns and look for unique shopping and dining experiences, on this trip we visited Worthham and Mexia Texas but we did little to spur the economy there.

I also spent an afternoon on the North Shore Trail at lake Grapevine. It had been several years since I had ridden this trail and I found it much improved with more of a loop route than the all single track 2-way it used to be. It is still a very challenging ride for me and I did take a spill by doing a forward somersault over the handle bars while still clipped in to the bike, nothing but my pride hurt(lucky).

Next post is about Pedernales Falls.

Dennis




No comments: