Friday, December 12, 2008

North Shore Trail Review Grapevine Texas

I have an older mountain bike that I won from Carrier on a point system for selling oem parts. This bike was junk, it weighed about 40 lbs and had worthless brakes and a couple of springs they called a suspension.

I got an early Christmas present when this GT Mountain bike went on sale and I had a 20% off coupon. It is the Avalanche 1.0 hydraulic disc brake. I rode it around for a few days and decided to try out the North shore Trails 9 mile out and back route. The bike is so much nicer than what I have been riding on the trails, if money was no object you can get a lighter better bike, but this would be hard to beat for the price I paid.

The trail started at a Park on the North end of the dam and runs along the lake through corp of Engineer land its whole route. I would call this a tough technical ride, it starts out nice but the first real climb is full of big rocks and I like most people had to carry my bike. The ride was fun and had maybe 4 real hard spots,(walk) mostly it was very doable hills and creek crossings. Below is a picture of a balancing rock and an Idea of what the area is like.
Well I can't leave out the sailing, at various places I could see this regatta, there was no wind at the finish line so everyone sailed into this big hole and it took them a long time to finish. I may go ride this again next week, it was a good workout.
The only bad thing is the trail was busy, and it is narrow with blind turns and I was surprised a few times. I think I will ride this during the week when the crowds are smaller.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Many years ago I had a GT mountain bike. I enjoyed riding it but I wanted to upgrade so I sold it to my oldest daughter. She rode it around White Rock Lake many times. When she and her husband moved to a loft in downtown Dallas it was stolen.

Later I bought a GT road bike. It was nice but shortly afterward GT was bought by Pacific Cycles and took a nasty turn to discount/big box cheap bikes. Glad to hear they are back to the type of bikes they used to make. I have looked at some GT's online but I have been questioning their commitment to LBS quality bikes. I will have to begin taking them seriously again.
Rick Ankrum
www.texbiker.net